Day 1, Wardrobe of Virtues: Compassion "we are together and enough" (originally published on atlasoflight.com)
The expectation of our days is simple, pure, and beautiful. We can step into this expectation each morning. - Atlas of Light, March 5, 2016
How's it going this morning? I'm so honored to share this moment with you--thank you! We are about to slip into our newest piece of clothing and the first of seven new outfits for your wardrobe.
Today, let's carefully lift out the hanger with COMPASSION. Unclip it. You'll look burning hot in this one. It's florescent, almost glowing in it's own light. Gaze upon the the letters--it's full of passion--passion for others and your imperfect self. Let this sink into your soul.
- literally means "to suffer together". It's root is "compati" which means "suffer with."
- is similar to pity, sympathy, empathy, fellow feeling, care, concern, solicitude, sensitivity, warmth, love, tenderness, mercy, leniency, tolerance, kindness, humanity, and charity.
- is NOT being indifferent or cruel.
- is burning sympathy--burning because you put yourself in their shoes.
- allows another to have a friend and companion in his/her suffering.
- is passion at it's very best. It is passion for others and yourself.
- dissolves anger by showing pure mercy, care, and warmth.
- makes our heart rate slow down, the “bonding hormone” oxytocin is released, and regions of the brain linked to empathy, caregiving, and pleasure light up.
Give YOURSELF Compassion today by:
- being gentle with yourself as you fail and experience difficulties
- letting go of ideals and embracing your own personal journey
- offering up your imperfections to a perfect, loving God who loves you just as you are
Give OTHERS (I'm talkin kids & family members, too!) Compassion today, by:
- looking at them as a unique individual, not as part of a greater stereotype
- remembering every person you come across is fighting their own battle
- thinking of how you've been comforted during suffering, then pay it forward
Maybe you can share the GIVING CARD with someone?
dearly loved, clothes yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. forgive... and overall put on LOVE.
[adapted from Colossians 3:12-14]
REFERENCES: I referred to a few websites and books in writing of this post: the holy bible, YouVersion bible app, google definitions, self-compassion.org, http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/compassion/definition.